- Having good attendance at school is extremely important.
- Our expectation is that all students’ attendance is above 97%.
- Being absent from school means you miss out on essential parts of education, which in most cases links to underachievement.
- Full attendance is critical if you are to make the best use of your opportunities.
- All students have their attendance monitored rigorously, and regular communications will be sent to parents if attendance drops (see below). Where necessary we invite parents/carers in to offer support and discuss any issues.
- Please support the Academy by sending your child to school.
- If you fail to send your child to school, you are committing an offence under the Education Act (1996) and this may lead to a fixed penalty notice being issued.
Attendance at school and legal intervention
The Local Authority operates a system where any pupil will meet the criteria for legal intervention where they have:
- at least 9 sessions (4.5 school days) lost to unauthorised absence by the pupil during the last 6 school weeks
The intervention could be in the form of a Fixed Penalty Notice. Any pupil at Ormiston Victory Academy who meets the criteria will be referred to the Local Authority for action to be considered.
If a Fixed Penalty Notice is issued the arrangement for the payment will be detailed on the Penalty Notice. The penalty is £60 if paid within 21 days of receipt of the notice, rising to £120 if paid after 21 days but within 28 days of the receipt of the Notice. The Fixed Penalty Notice is per parent per child. You should be aware that failure to pay the total amount within the timescale will result in legal action being taken.
Please click here to download a full copy of the Attendance at school and legal intervention letter.
Reporting your child absent
- If your child is absent, due to illness, it is important that you contact us before 9.00am on the first day of absence, and on the morning of every day of absence thereafter.
- You can report an absence the following way:
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 01603 734156
Electronic form: click here
- If your child has a medical appointment, we ask that you inform us prior to the appointment, where possible.
- For those parents who have been asked to provide medical evidence for all absences, please click here to download a copy of the form. Forms are also available from Student Services.
- If a student has not registered in the morning a text message will be sent to parents/carers. Parents/carers can reply to this message or alternatively contact the above number and leave a message.
Covid-19 Self Isolation
If your child is self-isolating due to them (or someone else in your household) displaying symptoms it is important to let us know. Please complete our Self Isolation Form if this is the case.
- All students are expected to arrive on time.
- If a student is late, this can disrupt the learning of others and impede on students’ progress in lessons.
- If a late is recorded as a U code (unauthorised absence) attendance will drop.
- Persistent lateness may lead to a penalty notice being issued.
- But remember, it is better to arrive late than not at all!
Application for leave of absence from school during term time
- A leave of absence form must be completed for all absences from the academy. Please click here to download a leave of absence form. These are also available from Student Services.
- If you are planning a holiday during term time, please be aware that it is the Academy’s policy not to authorise holidays unless there are exceptional circumstances.
- A leave of absence form must be completed at least three weeks before your holiday. A response will then be sent to you in writing. Please ensure you read the government guidelines and sign the form.
Closing of AM and PM registrations for 2020-2021
|AM registration closes||PM registration closes|
Students arriving after these times will be marked as U.
- Ms V Le Fur – Vice Principal for Behaviour and Attitudes
- Miss M Youngman – Director of Attendance
- Mrs A Royal – Attendance Manager
- Miss L Nash – Attendance and Student Administrator
- Mrs H Bardwell – PA to Student Engagement and Attendance
Telephone number: 01603 734156
Email: [email protected]