Although the sun has been shining so far this summer, it’s vital to have a tanning back-up with holidays, weddings and long weekends approaching.
My first job is to expose the self-tanning myths that have been around for decades.
Firstly no self-tan streaks, it’s the way that you apply it.
Secondly less is more, build your tan gradually and never use in conjunction with sunbeds.
Finally no self-tan will make you orange, again it’s the amount and way that you apply it.
Here are my top 10 tips for perfect self tanning this summer –
1. Select a good self-tanning product (see my recommendations below)
2. Exfoliate 24 hour before applying any self-tan concentrating on knees, elbows, ankles and wrists
3. When applying self-tan always wear latex gloves or use a mitt
4. Apply body lotion to knees, ankles, tops of feet and elbows to prevent the tan being too dark in these areas
5. When applying self-tan rub the product in well and remember to blend into each area (shoulders to back etc)
6. Use the leftover self-tan on your hands and lightly sweep over knees and feet
7. For the most natural self-tan look on your face, mix the self-tan in with your moisturiser.
8. Self-tan should only need to be applied once a week, any more than this and it will build up and create an ‘orange look’
9. Use a good hydrating body lotion to maintain your self-tan inbetween treatments
10. Before re-applying self-tan, ensure that you exfoliate your body well
There are many self-tanning products on the market but having tried and tested many I have narrowed it down to three depending on your budget.
The best of the best self-tanning brand is St Tropez, my favorite is the self-tanning bronzing mousse 120ml £20.43 or 240ml £30.64 which includes a mitt for quick and easy application. The second option is the St Tropez bronzing tanning lotion (prices as above) apply in the evening and ensure that you sleep in pyjamas and shower off in the morning. Or save with Boots N07 quick dry tinted lotion, £12 for 200ml available in light/medium or medium dark depending on skin tone.
Anna Ball, Head of Beauty Therapy