Homework makes a difference to progress within every subject. You wouldn’t expect to excel in music or sport without practice, and homework is that opportunity to develop skills across the portfolio of subjects.
All of your child’s homework is set on Class Charts, a system which students and parents/carers have become familiar with using during the period of remote learning. It is vital that you support your child in managing and completing their homework and it is good practice for students to tick off when they have completed their homework.
We have crystallised our expectations in the following statements which are our interpretation of the Outstanding lesson guidance from Ofsted. See also our Key Stage 4 Homework Policy and Parent Letter.
- To set homework (knowledge organiser & additional homework tasks) on Class Charts with clear instructions & deadlines.
- To make the homework worthwhile. Homework needs to have a purpose & is valued.
- To reward students that complete their homework.
- To log if a student does not complete their homework on class charts.
- To track homework submissions on class charts.
- Optional: to offer homework support clubs within the department.
- To take responsibility to complete the homework by the set deadline.
- To take pride in the quality of the homework which they produce.
- To organise their time effectively and maintain a school/home balance.
- To speak to their teachers if they need support with completing their homework.
- To attend homework support clubs if they find it easier to complete homework in school.
- To tick off their homework when it is completed on class charts.
- To support their child in completing their homework.
- To ensure their child completes tasks to the best of their ability.
- To ensure their child has a healthy school/home balance.
- To praise your child when they complete their homework and are rewarded by their teachers.
- To support the school in ensuring your child attends afterschool homework support sessions.
- To help their child manage and organise their class charts account.