The Sixth Form Offer
- A wide range of A-Levels in combinations to suit most students.
- Top specialist teachers committed to achieving the best results.
- Full career and higher education advice in Year 12, expert assistance with your UCAS application in Year 13.
- Opportunity for private study in the Learning Resources Centre and the Sixth Form Study Centre; both equipped with computers for private study.
- A stand-alone Sixth Form Block with study areas and a common room.
- Academy enrichment activities (traditionally musical, dramatic and sporting) or community activities such as charity projects and primary schools.
- Our Extended Curriculum includes accredited qualifications such as First Aid.
- We are extending our Academy trips programme and other sixth form activities.
- Developing leadership skills through the Student Leadership, mentoring younger students or assisting in classrooms.
- Above all, intellectual stimulation and personal growth in a challenging and friendly environment.
Year 12 Options, September 2012
|Block 1||Block 2||Block 3||Block 4||Block 5|
|ChemistryEnglish LiteratureGeographyPhysicsPsychology||SociologyGeographyMathsPsychology||BiologyICTEnglish LanguageBusinessMedia|
Our ground-breaking partnership with Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust with its world-class facilities provides our students with brilliant learning opportunities.
Science students can access the hospital’s modern laboratories and study at lectures alongside medical students. Hospital staff mentor our students and joint courses are run with the prestigious School of Nursing.
A/S and A2 Health and Social Care
The AQA AS and Advanced GCE in Health and Social Care are ideal qualifications for students wanting a broad background in Health and Social Care which will allow them to progress to Higher Education or employment.
The courses are designed using work-related contexts, for example real life case studies, research, visits and guest speakers from health and care related organisations.
The course aims to:
- develop an interest in health, early years and education, social care and issues affecting the care sector
- acquire knowledge and understanding of health, early years and education and issues affecting the care sector
- develop skills that will enable the student to make an effective contribution to the care sector
- apply knowledge, understanding and skills
- prepare for further study and training
The Advanced Subsidiary (AS) course consists of three study units:
- Unit 1 Effective Caring assessed by an exam.
This unit introduces you to a selection of services in health and social care. It introduces the factors required for a good quality of life and some of the skills and techniques carers can use to treat people well.
- Unit 2 Effective Communication assessed by a written report.
This unit enables you to learn about basic communication skills n health and care settings. It should improve your competence and confidence in written, verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Unit 3 Health Illness and Disease assessed through a portfolio of evidence.
This unit is designed to improve your knowledge of health, illness and disease and to develop an understanding of the different factors that affect health and well-being for example, immunisation, screening, diet, exercise, monitoring weight, alcohol, smoking and obtaining medical advice.
The Advanced Level GCE (A2) requires three further units of study:
- Unit 11 Working in Health and Social Care assessed by a written report.
This unit helps you to learn about working in the health and care sectors and allows you to decide your suitability for different jobs.
- Unit 15 Clients with Disabilities assessed by an exam.
You will learn about the causes and effects of various disability conditions and the range of service provision including aids and adaptations intended to support clients.
- Unit 17 Understanding Mental Disorder assessed by a written report.
This unit introduces you to a range of mental disorders, including depression, bi-polar disorder, schizophrenia, ADHD and alcoholism, their causes, effects and treatments.
Please click here to download the Sixth Form Homework Timetable (Acrobat pdf)
Please click here to download an Application Form.